Sunday 1 February 2015

Another Guadalupe rainbow personal best...

This morning was another of those stellar days that will live in my memory to relive on those fishless days that are sure to come. Early morning temps were mid-sixties and it didn't take much to get me out on the water. After a couple of cups of coffee and some raisin toast for energy, I hiked down to the pool. A half dozen casts at the tail yielded nothing so I moved up to the head. I've been after a BIG fish that resides in this pool and am now fishing exclusively with big streamers. First cast I chucked the size 8 egg sucking leech into the current and started a fast retrieve. My heart thumped as a nice trout slashed at the fly but missed (or this trigger happy fisherman pulled it away). Two or three casts later he took and rocketed into the air. Two sizzling runs and about five jumps later the line went slack...I had lost him. I was still pretty happy since I had gotten a good look at him and estimated him to be a 20" fish. I started casting into other current lanes and before long another trout nailed the fly...this one even bigger than the last.


After a decent fight that didn't quite compare to the previous fish, I netted a nice rainbow; 22.5" long. A quick picture and he was returned to the water. After that fish, I had to take a few deep breaths to lower the adrenaline levels in my body. Man, do I ever like fishing.

Head of pool that the trout shared with some geese

No comments:

Post a Comment