Friday 27 February 2015

Still fishing...still catching



I've entered a stage where trout fishing has been somewhat diminished; where the anticipation is reduced but the strike is still somewhat anticipated. Complex times for this simple fisherman. I only fish a short time in the morning and perhaps a few casts in the evening if my book has failed to fully capture my interest. This has never happened before but I suppose can be understood when I reflect that I've fished almost daily for rainbows for over 3 months. And never had to drive to my destination. I'm still catching a few rainbows most days and nearing the end of my stay here so we decided to keep the next legal trout I caught.


This is the fellow who drew the short straw; and would become an experiment in baking a full fish. My experiments with cooking rainbows as a youngster had failed to awe my palette and I had turned to smoking any trout I kept. No complaints...they were awesome and the complements always exceeded expectations. Anyway, fast forward to today and a 450 degree oven, the rainbow in foil stuffed with dill and lemon slices and spiced with salt and pepper and baked for 35 minutes...had turned into gastronomical nirvana. Had I any idea these fish could taste this great; the Guadalupe River would have been short a half dozen more rainbows.


There is just a tiny bit left to make into a fish salad...just add a bit of mayo and mustard. Next I MUST go and catch me a Rio Grande Cichlid. Hopefully the temperatures will escape from the 30s and head into more temperate zones.

Epicurean Addendum:


No comments:

Post a Comment