Monday 9 February 2015

San Marcos River outing...



 The weather forecast was trying to eclipse 80, my wife wanted to head out to the Outlet Mall and the trout weren't active so what was a poor fly fisher to do. Head off to the San Marcos River of course. I had heard loads about the river, the neat fish, the steady 72 degree spring water and the solitude. A hard combo to resist so long but I succumbed to the lure today. I wasn't disappointed.


First fish caught was a nice redbreast sunfish, and the first that looked like this. Feisty little guys, and all the 2 wt could handle with scattered brush so close by. I ended catching over a dozen of these fish and not one disappointed. They fight with a vigor that comes from trying to avoid the fry pan...I could have told them I was into catch-and-release but why lessen that aggression. 


It's been suggested the above fish is a bluegill/redbreast hybrid sunfish and I suppose that might make more sense than explaining the difference between this photo and the one below of a bluegill  as sexual variations. Both fish were caught minutes apart in the same back eddy.


All in all a great day and I'll certainly be back to try for those Rio Grande cichlids; a fish that's on the top of my bucket list right now. But first I'll have to figure out how to catch them. Today's trip was short...we arrived early afternoon and my wife had to make her Spanish lessons in Canyon Lake by 6:00. The next trip will be longer but not necessarily better.

No comments:

Post a Comment