Sunday 8 March 2015

Pedernales River sampling...


Sample? Yes it was and unfortunately, it only lasted about an hour. A special afternoon with new friends at their riverside home, a great meal, a dry Reisling, a 3 (or was it 4?) berry desert and the topper...an hour of fishing from the backyard. I managed 5 hook-ups and 3 came to the net. Of course the biggest and baddest fish was instantly lost but I still brought in those 3...one of which was a new species for me.




 The new specie was a red eared sunfish which put up a credible fight on the 2 wt.







My second fish was what we decided must have been a spotted bass. Toothy tongue, 10 dorsal spines, mouth ending near mid eye and spots below the lateral line.








The last was a little bluegill.







Our hostess landed a generic sunfish on a top-water fly, an event that capped one of those wonderful days we sometimes run into. She also introduced me to a 1 wt Sage SPLCA center axis rod that I instantly fell in love with. After viewing some discussions on the UL forum and being allowed to handle the above Sage I can see a 00 wt Sage of some sort joining my arsenal in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment