Tuesday 13 January 2015

New spot on the Guad with my 2 wt.

We moved to a different location on the Guadalupe today and after unpacking the fishing gear I thought I'd give the location a quick, hands-on appraisal. Several sets of riffles, good wading water but no fisherfolk gave my guarded optimism a twist of doubt. I first took the 4 wt out, set up with a #20 rainbow warrior and a # 20 zebra midge dropper. An hour of fishing made me wonder why I was again braving the cold to torment some fish. A last resort, I pulled out the new 2 wt and hit the riffles again.




After a couple of fly changes, a #16 pheasant tail suddenly stopped in the current and a gentle rod revealed a slight head shake. I set the hook a bit harder and the fish rocketed upstream. After what turned out to be a fairly short fight, I landed my nicest rainbow on the 2 wt to date. Man do I like this rod.


After posing for the picture, the bow was of course released. Still feisty, he rocketed from the shallows back into the riffles. But not before helping me with another first, an underwater picture. Somewhat muted colours but we're always more relaxed when photos are taken in our home.


No comments:

Post a Comment