Saturday 21 November 2015

Cabela's CGR 2 wt or I'm a convert now...

The US mail yesterday dropped off another package, ordered in a vain attempt to assuage my thirst for glass. This time the package contained 2 rods from Cabela's; a CGR 2 wt and a CGR 7/8 wt. What to do? I was already in the anticipatory phase of Happy Hour and the morning's attempt at finding some stripers was already just a bad memory. After some difficult deliberations about the possible effects of missing Happy Hour and the onerous task of launching my kayak from the muddy banks below our rental property I found myself on the water with the 2 CGR wt, a Redington Drift 2/3 reel, a Hook and Hackle 2 wt WF fly line and a #14 wet fly.



The rod. I had whipped the rod back and forth on land as fishermen often do and was a bit dubious about the way the rod flexed. Even a slight flick of the wrist sent the taper into a bow right down to the handle. And that was without a fly line tugging at the glass from the backstroke. I needn't have worried, after only a couple of casts to get used to the slower action required the rod performed beautifully. Despite being in my new, slightly tippy SOT kayak and floating backwards toward some fast water I was able to place the fly accurately to within a foot of shore at distances of what may have been up to 40 feet. A less generous observer would likely say it was only 35 feet but why quibble over a mere 5 feet.



The fish. Here is where the rod expressed it's true personality! I only managed two bluegills before the darkness forced me off the water but each had me wondering how tarpon had found their way into the river. At least that's how I remember it today. Suffice to say each fish put a tremendous bow into the rod while telegraphing each tail thrust and circular dive in it's attempt at freedom. I couldn't be happier about the rod and it will be my go to rod for all "small fish" waters. It doesn't have the power at the butt to handle the larger fish that my Redington CT graphite 2 wt has but does cast more accurately at short distances and telegraphs any action at the pointy end better. This rod gets 2 thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment